• Ear infections are the most frequent primary diagnosis made at visits to U.S. physician offices by children less than 15 years of age.
• Almost half of all children will have at least one middle ear infection before they’re 1 year old
• From 1975-1990, office visits for otitis media increased by 150 %.
Why are small children particularly prone to otitis media?
• Their Eustachian tubes are shorter and more horizontal (and therefore poorer drainage) than those of adults.
• During a cold or other respiratory infection, these tiny tubes can become inflamed and swollen, trapping fluid in the middle ear.
• Two things surrounding the Eustachian tube can interfere with its drainage – Muscle and Vertebrae
• Misalignment of vertebrae and/or muscle spasm can press on the Eustachian tube and prevent the middle ear from draining.
Some interesting Studies..
A randomized, two time clinical trial of children ages 3-6, recently released from the Agency of Health Care Policy and Research concluded..
• “..there was no benefit from Amoxicillin, compared to a placebo and control group, in preventing ear infections.”
• Many medical doctors continue to ignore the evidence and warnings of over-medication of ear infections.
• Given the lack of evidence for benefit and the potential for adverse affects, including altering normal respiratory flora and developing resistant organisms, routine treatment using ten days of antimicrobials for all cases of otitis media is not warranted.” Source-Journal of the American Medical Association
Other findings by JAMA…
• “Amoxicillin is not effective in the treatment of persistent asymptomatic middle ear effusion (fluid buildup) in infants and children.”
• Children who took the drug were 2-6 times more likely to have a recurrence of fluid buildup than those receiving a placebo.
• 93% of all episodes of otitis media treated with chiropractic care improved, 75% in 10 days or fewer and 43% with only one or two treatments. Froehle RM; Ear infection: a retrospective study examining improvement from chiropractic care and analyzing for influencing factors. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1996; 19(3):169-77
The role of Chiropractic in Health (and.. specifically ear infections)..
• The body is a self-healing, self regulating organism – with the nervous system functioning as the master control system of the body
• If the nervous system is compromised in any way (interfered with) the body cannot function normally
In order to have maximum Health and Function, you need to have:
• Plenty of Sleep
• Consistent Exercise
• A Positive Mental Attitude
• Excellent Nutrition
• And a Healthy Nervous System -The Nervous System directly and indirectly controls the Immune System.
Chiropractors adjust children to reduce nervous system pressure as well as muscle spasm compressing the tubes of the ears. This ultimately helps the body function better by freeing the pressure on the nervous system from the muscles and bones.